2015 Robot Fun Run - Friday, June 19th
Wake Forest Biotech Place Atrium
Cook Medical, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools and Wake Forest Innovation Quarter are excited to invite two to five individuals from each organization to participate in the second annual Robot Fun Run Community Challenge on Friday, June 19th in Wake Forest Biotech Place from 9:00 am to 2:30pm. Last year we had five media outlets cover this event and we expect to have an even bigger response in 2015!
What IS the Robot Fun Run?
The Robot Fun Run brings together 8 to 12 teams made up of local businesses, institutions and departments who will be challenged with building and programming a LEGO® MINDSTORMS® robot and then competing to score points on a thematic playing surface. Each team made up of 3 to 5 individuals will have 2.5 minutes to score as many points as possible. The winning team with the most points will receive their very own LEGO® trophy!
Why is the Robot Fun Run important?
Because Science, Technology, Education and Mathematics (STEM) is the future! The yearly Winston-Salem robotics program is designed to get middle-school students excited about science and technology in addition to teaching them valuable employment and life skills. With the regularly scheduled Forsyth County Robot Run taking place in the fall, this summer event is a great opportunity to bring awareness to the robotics program, encourage participation and a chance for our community to come together to showcase their skills in the hub of innovation!
Below is an overview of this fun program. Please let me know if you can help put a winning team together for 2015!
Think you can build a robot better than a 6th grader?
Well, you have a chance a prove it! On behalf of Wake Forest Innovation Quarter, Cook Medical and Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools we are excited to share with you an opportunity to participate in the second annual Robot Fun Run Community Challenge! This event, scheduled to take place on June 19th in the Wake Forest Biotech Place atrium, will bring together 8-12 teams made up of various local businesses, institutions and departments for a full day of robotics fun!
The yearly Winston-Salem robotics program is designed to get middle-school aged children excited about science and technology in addition to teaching them valuable employment and life skills. With the regularly scheduled Robot Run taking place in the fall we want to bring recognition to this wonderful initiative by asking you to participate as part of an ADULT team for what promises to be a VERY exciting day!
What we are asking:
- We are asking for a commitment from two to five brainy individuals to represent your organization, forming one of 8 - 12 teams competing in the Robot Fun Run Community Challenge in the Wake Forest Biotech Place atrium from 9:00AM to 2:30PM on Friday, June 19th.
How it works:
- Before the event, each team will receive the rules for the tournament
- Upon arrival at 9am, each team will be asked to program an autonomous robot using a LEGO® MINDSTORMS® robot set to score points on a thematic playing surface
- Each team will have three hours to program their robots and practice on their playing surface
- Each team will be assigned one middle school aged mentor
- Following lunch, each team will participate in a tournament where they have 2.5 minutes to score as many points as possible. Each team will have multiple runs to achieve the highest score
- After all the teams have been scored a trophy will be awarded to the highest scoring team
Ultimately we hope that your participation, as well as press and media coverage of this event, will encourage other individuals and businesses to participate as mentors and sponsors in future Forsyth County Robot Runs that continue to make a difference in our community.
For more photos and media links from the 2013 Robot Fun Run please visit - www.wsrobotrun.com
Please confirm that your organization can participate in this tournament by contacting Lindsey Yarborough at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Please contact Lindsey Yarborough (Lyarboro@wakehealth.edu) or Steve Susalka (email@example.com)
Thank you for your consideration!
Copyright © 2015 Forsyth County Invitational Robot Run. All rights reserved.